Wednesday, June 16, 2010

River fun


Sharon from My French Country Home is linking up with bloggers who have stories about living by the water. Living in Tasmania, and my city Hobart, we see water everywhere. I have been lucky enough to have a view of our Derwent River from all the places I have lived. I drive by and cross the river on my way to work. In summer we play on the river.
Lyndon is proud owner to a 1960 timber powerboat called Touchwood. She has a marinised Holden car engine and a whole bunch of vintage style. We enjoy taking her out on the river for a fun cruise on a sunny day. About half an hour or so up the river is a little town called New Norfolk (great for antiquing!). It's such a pretty place and the river, while not wide, is picturesque here. Above is a photo of Lyndon out on the water enjoying himself.
Being such a small boat, she can only go out in smooth, clear weather. It is funny how you come to 'read' the water and see the weather changes on the way. I'm not great 'in' the water, but just love being 'on' or near the water.
ps this photo was taken one summer a couple of years ago. At the moment Touchwood is undergoing maintenance and hopefully will be back in the water this coming summer.

9 comments:

  1. It must be so nice living near that picturesque river Sarah and how lovely that you can go for little cruises on your boat. We didn't go to New Norfolk when we were in Tasmania but it sounds like a lovely spot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful timber boat :)
    - It reminds me of a favourite quote from The Wind in the Willows;
    "There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how fantastic! I would love to have a boat as we also have lots of waterways near us. That is such a cool speedboat though. I hope you're having a great week.
    Jxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful sight! Wish I lived close to water. Such a tranquil place to be.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's fun !!! love ...Ria.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sarah, Thank you so much for joining up on my water view link party. How really wonderful to be able to go antique hunting by boat - I would love that.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like a fun way to spend the warm summer days. Hopefully the boat will be up and running by then. It sounds like a lovely river - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, beautiful boat. Love those old wooden boats.
    Does it have enough space to bring home antique finds from New Norfolk?

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - your lovely comments make my day!