Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Sunflowers and ferns

The sunflowers out the front are finally in bloom. I thought they were going to be the big ones but they're not. They still look great against the blue fence. Very cheery.
We've also been planting out the back and sowing some lawn.
Here's my little fernery with a range of different species including Tasmanian Manferns (that we've named Fergus and Fanny), a Victorian slender manfern (of which there are only a few hundred left growing wild), chicken and hen fern, maiden hair fern and a couple of others. We still have to do the brick edging.
Above and below are the 'after' and 'before' photos. It was a bit of a dump from when we renovated the lounge room. The rubble, old pavers and tree stumps have gone and we are both very happy with the results. It has been a lovely sunny day for being outside in the garden.

10 comments:

  1. LOVE it Sarah!!! I can see you have put in a lot of hard work removing the pre-existing rubble and flattening the ground in preparation for your new garden. The lawn is going to look lovely along the side of the house there and I adore your fern garden. Will look so lush and green along the fence. When we were driving around Tassie, I always admired the manferns growing in the forests. I laughed when I read the names of your two :) I look forward to seeing some photos of this spot in a few months time to see how Fergus and Fanny are coming along :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hard work will absolutely pay off! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. The garden renovation is coming along beautifully. I love the 'after' photo and those ferns will look superb there and help to hide that ugly concrete block wall next door. You might need something else taller to provide shade for the ferns tho, like a laurel perhaps. Or a bay tree which will also give you bay leaves to cook with. I love the sunflowers, that size is just right. Kt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden is looking fabulous - love, love, love the sunflowers! Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is something about sunflowers that just make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, the sun flowers are to die for.
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore sunflowers. They're such a happy flower!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i've always wanted sunflowers in my yard.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - your lovely comments make my day!